Preview

image preview

Subject

NASFL, building, exterior, Link Trainer

Description

Two exterior shots of building-8 which housed the Link trainer.

The Link Trainer, also known as the Blue Box and Pilot Trainer was a flight simulator produced between the early 1930s based on technology pioneered in 1929 by Edwin Albert Link. These simulators became famous during World War II, when they were used as a key pilot training aid by almost every combatant nation. More than 500,000 U.S pilots were trained on Link simulators, many of them at the NAS Fort Lauderdale. The Link Flight Trainer has been designated as a Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. The Link Company is now a part of L-3 Communications and continues to make aerospace simulators.

Courtesy of the Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Museum

Date Digital

2019

Date Original

1975

Format

color photographic print

Digital Collection

NAS

Keywords

NASFL, building, exterior, Link Trainer

Share

 
COinS