HCBE Faculty Articles

Title

Contemporaneous ADR Pricing: Intraday Dynamics during Overlapping Trading Hours

Document Type

Article

Date

2017

Publication Title

The European Journal of Finance

ISSN or ISBN

1351-847X

Volume

24

Issue

3

First Page

183

Last Page

207

Description

We contribute to the literature by identifying and accurately measuring the drivers of American depositary receipt (ADR) returns contemporaneously across various global time zones. We consider ADRs as two inherently distinct asset classes – stocks and currencies – bundled into one. Throughout, we use a relatively refined, focused, and synchronized minute-by-minute data set on ADRs and all other variables. ADRs from all countries with regular trading hours that overlap with those of the US are considered individually and in clusters. We analyze the interplay of several factors that influence ADRs pricing patterns. Further, we investigate whether such patterns vary by currency, ADR, industry, and emerging/developed market classifications. Our findings indicate that synchronized returns on underlying shares comprise 68.5–74% of the explained returns in ADRs. The remaining 31.5–26% of returns are generated by movements in currency rates. These results are robust across the several models and estimation methods employed. Our findings also show persistent small price discrepancies between ADRs and dollar-adjusted underlying shares on a minute-by-minute basis, implying possible arbitrage opportunities. However, we conclude that trading and ADR conversion costs render such opportunities unattractive.

DOI

10.1080/1351847X.2017.1292935

This document is currently not available here.

Peer Reviewed

Find in your library

Share

COinS