Enrollment Management: How to Improve Student Retention and Student Success
Student retention is a cottage industry and has now become big business. However, in the past, the topic of enrollment management was not a major concern as the academy tended to blame the victim for student retention as administrators alleged that the students failed, not the institutions. Yet in today’s competitive environment with many more options for students to earn a degree, colleges and universities have now made recruitment, retention of students, and degree completion a priority. Student attrition has also resulted in increased demands for accountability, and some states are even adopting performance-based funding models.
The purpose of enrollment planning is to help the institution gain more control over its enrollment future by developing the capacity to achieve both new and returning student goals through improved recruitment and retention efforts. There is no silver bullet or any one initiative to solve this complex problem, as there are many factors involved. Retention is also not just a division of student affairs issue, as improving the quality of student life and learning is everybody’s business. Please join Dr. Robert Hill as he discusses the critical issue of improving student retention and what specific strategies your institution’s enrollment management plan should include.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
Just a sampling of what this webinar will cover:
- What are some of the theories and trends in the specialized niche area and what have we learned from all the research?
- What are the main factors keeping students (both traditional and nontraditional) from persisting?
- How do you manage the enrollment funnel?
- Are your students engaged in educationally-purposeful activities, both inside and outside the classroom?
- Who is responsible for student retention and do the faculty play a role?
- Does the process of student retention differ in different institutional settings, residential and non-residential, two and four year, etc.?
- AND MUCH MORE!
Hill, Robert W., "Enrollment Management: How to Improve Student Retention and Student Success" (2018). Faculty Presentations. 419.