This particular seminar is designed to educate attorneys about how to be an elder law attorney. Practitioners will learn the various skill sets involved: estate and incapacity planning as well as protection of assets in order to qualify for, or remain qualified for, public benefits such as Medicaid and veteran’s pension with aid and attendance.
1. How to work with senior citizens and their families in a clinical as well as legal format
2. How to determine capacity of elderly clients to execute legal documents
3. How to analyze family relationships
4. How to design an estate and incapacity plan and how to explain it to seniors
5. How to determine what documents need to be prepared or revised
6. How to become eligible for means-tested public benefits, e.g., Medicaid &/or VA.
Lakin Arlene; and Fisher Gail."Video: Elder Law for Beginners" (2017). Law Center Plus Seminar Series. Paper 19.