Eating disorders: a personal story with implications for dentists, and healthcare professionals
ISBN or ISSN
Publication Date / Copyright Date
This video chronicles the events of a dental student who overcame an eating disorder. The purposes of this video are to:
- Develop an appreciation from the perspective of both the patient/student and clinician of the complexity of the psychological issues associated with these disorders.
- Discuss the impact of eating disorders on system and oral health.
- Suggest approaches to assist students and patients who may be struggling with early symptoms of the most common eating disorders.
- Review the intraoral symptoms and signs of these disorders.
- Discuss strategies for referral.
This work is the true-life story of one of the authors (MAY). Its effectiveness is evident in the emotion this presentation creates in the audience.
Ypma, M.; Etzel, K.; and Siegel, Michael Alan, "Eating disorders: a personal story with implications for dentists, and healthcare professionals" (2011). Faculty Articles. 123.