Event Title

Tan Your Skin, Not Your Eyes

Start Date

12-2-2010 12:00 AM

Description

Objective. The goal of this project was to evaluate the public’s use of protective goggles while using a tanning booth and to educate tanners about the harmful side effects that ultraviolet (UV) radiation can have on their eyes. Background. UV exposure increases the risk of certain ocular problems. UV exposure has been shown to hasten a number of serious eye diseases including but definitely not limited to: the development of cataract, pterygium, photokeratitis, age related macular degeneration, conjunctival carcinoma, and malignant melanoma. The signs, symptoms, and effects of such conditions range from dry, irritated eyes to unaesthetic growths on the eyes to decreased vision to even death. Simply wearing the proper goggles would provide ample protection to the eyes from the threats of UV radiation. Methods. We surveyed professional students in the Optometry, Dental, and Osteopathic Medicine programs of Nova Southeastern University. Only students who have ever used a tanning bed filled out the survey and received an informative flyer. Results. A total of 91 surveys were completed. The majority of respondents (63%) report using goggles every time they tan. The rest of the tanners surveyed (37%) report removing their goggles at least some of the time, with almost one sixth (16%) reporting that they never wear goggles.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Feb 12th, 12:00 AM

Tan Your Skin, Not Your Eyes

Objective. The goal of this project was to evaluate the public’s use of protective goggles while using a tanning booth and to educate tanners about the harmful side effects that ultraviolet (UV) radiation can have on their eyes. Background. UV exposure increases the risk of certain ocular problems. UV exposure has been shown to hasten a number of serious eye diseases including but definitely not limited to: the development of cataract, pterygium, photokeratitis, age related macular degeneration, conjunctival carcinoma, and malignant melanoma. The signs, symptoms, and effects of such conditions range from dry, irritated eyes to unaesthetic growths on the eyes to decreased vision to even death. Simply wearing the proper goggles would provide ample protection to the eyes from the threats of UV radiation. Methods. We surveyed professional students in the Optometry, Dental, and Osteopathic Medicine programs of Nova Southeastern University. Only students who have ever used a tanning bed filled out the survey and received an informative flyer. Results. A total of 91 surveys were completed. The majority of respondents (63%) report using goggles every time they tan. The rest of the tanners surveyed (37%) report removing their goggles at least some of the time, with almost one sixth (16%) reporting that they never wear goggles.